Saturday 16 June 2012

the garden of ireland....


Whilst away with our in-laws, we visited one of my most favourite places of all - Mount Usher Gardens, in Ashford, Co. Wicklow. If you remotely like gardens, you would love this place - i'm not sure my photos do it justice.....


It has a delightful situation, beside a river, with some amazing trees and shrubs. The planting is just superb, as if you have stumbled on a little bit of natural wilderness.  There's a beautiful courtyard, with an Avoca restaurant and some lovely shops (particularly the plants and the food!).


But there are two things that I adore about this garden.  Firstly, I feel so content there, an amazing sense of serenity being surrounded by so many delightful plants and trees.  I've been three times, and each time I have left reinvigorated in an utterly calm way, if that makes sense.

Secondly, each time I have been, despite the car park being uber full, it doesn't feel crowded at all.  It's nice to meander along and meet people and smile, hoping that they appreciate the garden in the same way.  I always come away wanting to do so many things with my own little patch of muck.
So if you're ever in Wicklow/Dublin and aching for a horticultural delight, look no further.....

No comments:

Post a Comment