Tuesday 19 June 2012

These are a few of my favourite things....part one

I love to love things. Music, literature, art, places, flowers, food....you name it, i'll find something/some part of it to love. A Room 1,000,0001 rather than Room 101 if you like. I don't even mind if people hate the objects of my affection, but I think it's really healthy to have an opinion on things. So part of my blog will be to document my loves - it also reminds me so I don't forget. So lets start with a few biggies:

1. The Divine Comedy - no, not Dante's literary phenomenon (i'm not that cerebral) but the band; ever since I was 18, studying for A levels and I heard "Something for the Weekend", I was hooked, and have been ever since. Even through the whole "Regeneration" phase. I just adore Neil Hannon's way with words; a true storyteller in a time where most pop songs have about ten repeated words in total. He's also not bad with a tune either. I think it's genetic, my father is a massive Leonard Cohen fan and has everything he ever composed (we must be very loyal, stupid or tone deaf). I love the fact each song inspires a memory of my life thus far.

 
2. Books. I have always loved reading, from the moment I got my first library card. In my teenage years, I devoured as many classics I could muster - of course the usual suspects, such as the Brontes, Miss Austen; and I also had a passion for irish authors such as Joseph O Connor. In my twenties, I was too busy reading medical books to enjoy reading for pleasure - but recently I have started to dip my toe into the vast world of undiscovered treasures - I'm currently reading Nancy Mitford and Winifred Holtby - I loved South Riding. Ooh, and Marghanita Laski.


3. Railway posters. I have no brothers, so it was only when I had my first sob that I discovered the wonders of thomas the tank engine, and all things railway. I must confess I love watching steam train DVDs with my three yr old, or going to the transport museum. But I also really, really love railway posters for a number of reasons. I love the era they were executed, the design, the colour schemes, and of course, the images. I particularly love the Norman Wilkinson posters. We have a particularly large reprint in our dining/living room and I just adore it.

That's my first three - slightly random, but as you can imagine, the list is endless, so there'll be more to come. Take care until we meet again.



No comments:

Post a Comment