Monday 9 July 2012

Childhood nostalgia: anyone for tennis?



My sister aged 2!
The good thing about the rubbish weather and aforementionned tooth abscess is that I haven't left the house much - so I have just had to watch most of Wimbledon. When we were children, we loved watching Wimbledon for a number of reasons: firstly, we loved tennis; and each had our favourites: John Mc Enroe; then Steffi Graf; then, (as I got older) Goran Ivanisevic (swoon!). Secondly, because it happened at the beginning of school summer holidays (children in Northern Ireland finish school at the end of June and have 2 months off); and thirdly, because it inspired us to run out into the garden and re-enact the latest match.

 Me enjoying the summer and the pool.
Mum would put two wicker stools out and put a brush across both as a fake net. We had such craic; and of course we lost more balls than you could count; but summer to me always is synonymous with tennis/Wimbledon. I even remember listening to the Agassi/Ivanisevic 5 set thriller on our old radio in our caravan in Donegal (no TV signal in those days), such was our dedication.

Nowadays, I still love to watch Wimbledon, particularly the men's game and the doubles; I do feel the women's game has lost something; I don't know what exactly - whether it be a lack of personalities maybe? Anyhow, I'm not as keen to run out and have a game; but nowadays I can enjoy a little Pimms with my viewing..... I would highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment