Saturday 18 August 2012

Two types of square.



Hello, and welcome all; what a glorious weekend we are having here in Norn Iron (local speak for Northern Ireland); the sun is splitting the stones which is lovely as for the last few days, it's been cloudy, humid and there's been lots of heavy rain showers. During the bad weather, I've been doing a few things: making vegetable soup, roast chicken and chorizo roasted vegetables; and some Mars Bars Rice Krispie squares. I love Rice Krispie buns; and have tried various traybake Krispie combinations - but this is my favourite by a country mile. The recipe goes like this:

Makes 8
100g rice krispies (or thereabouts)
3 x Mars Bars
100g butter
125g milk crocolate

Place the sliced butter and mars bars in a bowl and place over a saucepan of boiling water until all melted; stir in the rice krispies gradually and mix well until all covered. Empty into a lined metal tray and press down; once firm cover with melted milk chocolate and allow to set ( I find the fridge best during this weather). Once set, cut into delicious chunks and enjoy with a cup of tea! Krispie bliss....





Anyway, my other little project is a crochet one - hurrah! I am, of course, still working on my WIPs and presents for holiday-which-cannot-be-named; but I wouldn't be me unless I had about 5 or 50 projects on the go. Anyway, I spotted some reduced Debbie Bliss Amalfi in 55eileen on Ebay (a great little yarn shop with lots of great bargains at times); and snapped some balls up. Amalfi is a cotton/linen/viscose/silk mix wool; which I have never used before; but I wanted to make a light throw for me for warm evenings.


I love how the cluster stitches look on the hook
(just like little Pontipines - from In the Night Garden)


 I was going to make hexagons as I've seen some lovely blankets on the web; but I like the regular shape of squares for joining etc; so I am using "Big Round" from this book, 200 crochet blocks for blankets, throws and afghans, by Jan Eaton. I'm aiming for a big splodge of colour, surrounded by white.  I think I need a ball of teal, and maybe a stronger green, but we'll see.


This is my first block - so far, I'm happy enough with the pattern - although I don't think the pattern instructions are as clear as I have read elsewhere. As for the yarn, it's quite novel to be using cotton, and I am happy enough ; I had read reviews that this yarn can be quite splitty, but thankfully, I haven't had this problem thus far. It's nice and soft to work with too.
Anyway, enjoy your weekend and take care. Em

(edit:  realised I forgot to put some krispie square pics on and phone battery dead - promise I will soon...).

No comments:

Post a Comment