Sunday 26 August 2012

a few of my favourite things : john lewis


Now, I know that for those of you living in mainland UK, this might seem a bit silly, but I love John Lewis.  We, in Norn Iron, are not fortunate enough to have one - we only recently got a  House of Fraser, Paperchase and (very recently) a Cath Kidston; but I would swap them all for a John Lewis. 
When over visiting Edinburgh/Yorkshire/Manchester, I'll always make a beeline to the nearest one, and I've yet to be disappointed. 

 
I'm not sure a person can be characterised by their favourite shop (in the way some people are characterised by their favourite film/pet), but if one was, John Lewis would do it for me.  I was trying to encapsulate why this is the case, and I found it difficult, but here's a few reasons:
 
1.  A department store not afraid to embrace crafts - well, certainly in the ones that I have been in, this seems to be the case.
 
2.  The variety of brands on offer does seem to agree with my taste.
 
Anyone for Cream Crackers?
3.  The homeware - especially the latest "Home Comforts" range - it surely must be wrong to covet cushions and kitchen jars, but what can I say?

4.  Their boys' clothes - anything that I've bought/given as a gift has been good quality and withstood the rigors of the Chander Chaps.

 
5.  I've managed to get good bargains in their sales online; and unlike a number of other companies, the delivery charges are reasonable to Northern Ireland.


All images courtesy of the John Lewis website.
Of course I could be wrong; it might be that, as in the old adage - familiarity breeds contempt; but I have yet to be disappointed, and hopefully long may it be so.  In the meantime, I will continue to wish for a Northern Ireland John Lewis - or maybe, at the very least, some new kitchen jars and a cushion or two!  Take care, em.

No comments:

Post a Comment