Thursday 6 September 2012

Things I like: things I dislike



There seems to be lots of things I either really like or dislike this week - no grey; no in-between, no sitting on the fence. As clear as putting objects in a "red/blue/green/yellow" corner in school - things seem to sit very clearly in my mind as being liked or disliked.
Things I like:
1. The Paralympics: Unbelieveable. The quality of the athleticism is astounding - and seeing things I wouldn't have thought possible - if you get a chance, check out the F42 high jump. Just stunning.
 
2. Singing to Abba Gold whilst having my daily shower: I never tire of this - can't beat a bit of Abba (although I'm sure the neighbours would probably disagree). Can you hear me sing Fernando?
 
3. Monday night television - University Challenge on BBC2, swiftly followed by Only Connect on BBC4 - geekish, I know, but it helps to keep my brain ticking over whilst on maternity leave.
 
4. Mary Berry. Love her on Great British Bake Off (which I am also enjoying, but think everyone is taking it too seriously this year); but love her cookbook even more. Haven't had a bad recipe yet.

5.  Parade's End: Love the adaptation so much I ordered two Madox Ford books from Amazon.  Think I might start with The Good Soldier first though (as it's thinner).
Things I really dislike:
1. Poor customer service - on three occasions, in different stores, on the same day. I'm the kind of person who is almost apologetic for asking for something, and will forgive most things - but I have been really shocked recently by shop assistants being, well for the want of a better word, rude. Insincere. And no, I don't want to hear shop assistants effing and jeffing about their supervisors when buying my milk and bread, thank you very much.
2. Junk mail/people calling for no reason - for some reason, I seem to be getting lots of junk mail (the kind without my address on that everyone in the locality gets, you know the sort). And people knocking at the door to complete surveys/sell window glazing or internet film rental????? One woman wouldn't take no for an answer, I really thought I was going to have to prise her foot from my door! You think you would be safe in your own home.....

3. Adverts for "collecting" magazines - you know the sort (i.e. collect a plastic piece from your magazine weekly in order to make a boat/plane etc). There's a glut of the adverts on for these at the mo; I'm all for collecting things or developing new hobbies; but not if its going to cost them half a house to do it.

Sorry to rant, but I feel so much better for that. Must dash, going to make some pizza dough for this evening's tea, then maybe a little crochet.

No comments:

Post a Comment